How to Install Faux Tin Drop in Ceiling Tiles
Faux tin drop in ceiling tiles can be used on an existing grid system without the need to remove the existing tiles. They are a convenient option for anyone that wants to transform their ceiling without using adhesives to make this possible. In addition to this, they can be easily removed from the existing tiles if you decide to recapture the old look you once had. They can be used on any size ceiling and are easy to handle by DIY individuals. In the video you will see a quick presentation of how these tiles are installed onto an existing tile system.
Tools and Materials Needed
- Faux Tin Drop in Ceiling Tiles (model 210)
- Measuring Tape
- Adhesive (if preferred)
- Moldings (if preferred)
Suggested Material Stores
- Decorative Ceiling Tiles
- Home Depot
- Determine how many faux tin drop in ceiling tiles you will need by calculating the area you intend to cover up. You can easily count the number of existing tiles and use this as a basis for your calculation. When you do decide to buy the tiles, try to buy more than what you calculated to ensure you have enough for any future.
- If the lines of the grid system do not have the same color as the tile you intend to install, then you will need to paint it. This is to ensure that you have the right color balance. You can easily repaint the lines in the future if you decide to remove the tiles and install other models.
- Remove at least one of the tiles and use the measuring tape to get the length and width of the tile. This information is very important, so you must ensure that the dimensions are accurate. If possible, ask the supplier to send a sample tile to test under your existing tile system.
- The tiles that are located near the corner of the ceiling usually have different dimensions. You can use the measuring tape to get these dimensions and cut the faux tin drop in ceiling tiles to fit.
- You will not need to find the center of the room when you are installing faux tin drop in ceiling tiles. This is because you can use the outlay of the existing tile system as a guide. Simply install the first tile by pushing the ends into the creases of the existing grid system. Take care not to push too hard on the tile, but just gently enough to insert it over the existing tile.
- Repeat the same process described in Step 1 until you have completed all of the whole tiles and are left with the corners.
- The ‘cut-to-fit’ faux tin drop in ceiling tiles may need an adhesive to hold them tightly in place. This is because they will not be held from all four corners into the existing grid system. However, if you are able to cut the tiles to ensure a tight fit between the wall, then you may just dispense the adhesive.
Tip 1: Always remember that you should never use adhesive on the tile until you have tested it in the desired location.
Tip 2: Try combining different faux tin drop in ceiling tiles to create a checkered effect on the ceiling. However, choose colors that complement each other and most importantly that complement the room.
Tip 3: If you do decide to use different tiles, then ensure that the embossed designs complement each other as well.
Tip 4: If you do not wish to use adhesive on your faux tin drop in ceiling tiles, then you can use moldings at the corners of the ceiling. The moldings will push the rest of the tiles in place if they are not perfectly attached.
Quick Installation: Installation period can range from a few hours or days depending on the size ceiling you are covering. The absence of adhesive is also an advantage since you won’t need to remove the existing tiles to “glue” them to the new tiles. This has a direct impact on the installation time involved.
Affordable: Faux drop in ceiling tiles are affordable and can keep your remodeling project within your budget range regardless of the number of ceilings you will cover.
Easy to Remove: They are easy to install and also easy to remove as well. You can use a small plastic knife to loosen the four corners and remove the tiles. This is a perfect option for someone that just wants to give their ceiling a quick “facelift” for a special event, but intend to use the old grid system afterwards.
Please call 1866-297-0380 if you have any questions or concerns regarding drop ceiling tiles and its installation.